I am relieved. I think that’s the right word. Make no mistake a fascist minority attempted to take over our country. Should I list the most outrageous things that were either said by Trump or Maga Republicans, overtly proposed or covertly suggested, and not condemned, that were rejected in the most recent election:
- No – Obama was not born in Kenya
- The Muslim ban was beyond offensive to American values
- The wall on the southern border
- Good people at Charlottesville
- A ban on abortions, including those resulting from rape or incest or endangering the life of the mother
- Incivility and hostility in politics
- Sucking up to Putin
- The Jan. 6 insurrection
- Political violence (the attack on Paul Pelosi)
These are some of Trump’s greatest hits.
As Ben Franklin reportedly said, “It’s a republic if you can keep it.” In every generation there will be challenges to the republic by its enemies. They are not going away. Fortunately, in 2022, the fascists failed.